Monday, January 2, 2017

READING UPDATE: The Dictionary- Part 25- Readout – Scarcify

My progress has been shameful and disappointing.  I'd like to blame it on having two kids and being busy with work.  The truth is, I've just been lazy.  Perhaps I've lost all interest in the dictionary but I think it's more that I've given in to not bothering to try.  Well, no more.

It is now 2017.  I have 520 pages to go.  It will require the strongest pace I've read at so far for this book but I will finish the dictionary this year.  I want to move on.

Interesting words since my last update:



RE- WORDS- A lot of the ‘re-‘ words that don’t just mean doing something over again or in reverse (rewrite, rewind) were of French origin.  It was about 50-50 on those French-derived words going back to Latin but it was refreshing for around half of them not to.  The dictionary seems to try to force as many words as possible to Latin, even if it’s a pretty blatant stretch to get it there.  Another interesting aspect of the ‘re-‘ words is their pronunciation.  While I don’t have an accurate count, my mental notes suggest that more ‘re-‘words with a ‘ri’ sound (like in ‘rib’) than a ‘ree’ sound.  It gave that stretch of pages some decent variety.

RECK- Everyone is familiar with the word reckless (meaning careless or irresponsible) but no one really uses the root word ‘reck’ anymore.  It means- no surprise here- to worry, care, or hold in regard.  It’s an old word, dating back to before the 12th Century, so perhaps as the word ‘wreck’ grew in popularity, ‘reck’ waned in usage so not to get the two words confused.  ‘Wreck’ is only a few centuries younger, so it’s hard to say.

RED ALERT- My dictionary dated this phrase to 1951, which seemed too young.  Sure enough, MW online now dates it to 1941.  That still feels a little young but smack in the middle of World War II makes sense in some ways.

RED CARPET- Here’s another one that seemed too young.  Given the history of Hollywood, I was surprised that my dictionary dated it only to 1951.  MW online nudged it back to 1934, which feels right.  Red carpets have actually been used for centuries as walkways for formal processionals but the term in regards to an intentionally showy processionals for celebrities sounds just about right to have developed during the early talkie and TV era (even though TV was in black and white back then).

REDNECK- The gentrification of America started a long time ago, it seems, as this demeaning term for a member of the Southern rural labor class dates back to 1830.  It’s older than I’d have thought but it’s not the first time I’ve been wrong and it won’t be the last.  The meaning of the word has expanded slightly to encompass all things rural Southern white culture and ideals, and just like many pejoratives, some wear it as a badge of honor.

RENAISSANCE- The time period we call the Renaissance ran from the 14th Century to the 17th Centuries (aka the 1300s through the 1600s).  And yet, the word itself is only dated back to 1845 as a descriptor of this time period.  We look back on this part of history as an important era for cultural advancement but did the people living back then think they were part of something special and important?  Were they like the stereotypical Baby Boomers who grew up thinking they were part of something new, exciting, and significant simply because the times were changing and they seemed to be the catalyst of it?  Or did the people of the Renaissance just think they were being quirky and different?  We call it the Renaissance but I bet they just called it the present.

REPRISTINATE- This is one of those words that appeals to me simply because it sounds cool.  It was a flow about it that I cannot quite explain.  The meaning of the word is pretty neat to, though I have to wonder how difficult it is to bring something back to pristine conditions.  Is there a way to return something to the exact same conditions as it was found in?

RIFT- Another Scandinavian word that is widely used!  You might think these discoveries get old as this quest drags on, but it hasn’t yet.

ROADKILL- My dictionary dated this word back to 1979 and MW online has since dated it back to 1972.  Neither one strikes me as old enough.  What did people call it before this word came about?  I’m sure people were running over animals in their cars and trucks long before 1972!

ROCKING HORSE- The fact that this word dates back to 1724 isn’t what surprised me.  The fact that it is roughly 40 years older than the ‘rocking chair’ is.  Did they name the rocking chair after its similarity to the rocking horse?  So far, I haven’t been able to find out.

ROUND ROBIN- The original meaning of this phrase is fascinating.  It was originally a way for dissenters to sign their names to a document of protest.  People signed their names in a circle so it could not be determined who signed it first.  I’ve never seen a group of people sign their names in a circle before.  Now I want to.

RUB- This everyday word is of Icelandic origin.  It never gets old to see a small or obscure place produce a now common word.

RUMP- At this point, it’s pretty much official that Scandinavian-derived words are some of my favorite to find.

RURBAN- This sounds like a word that someone thought was a very clever hybrid but the rest of us failed to agree.  It’s almost 100 years old, which surprised me.  Yet, it’s nowhere near as old as suburban.  Perhaps the person coining the term thought we needed a fresh alternative.  I think he or she was wrong.

SALVIFIC- I didn’t know there was an adjectival form of the word salvation.  It sounds good and the consonant sounds flow very well.  I like it.

Page Count: 1080/1600 (67.50%)
Countdown to the Letter T: 156 pages

No comments: