Thursday, July 3, 2014

READING UPDATE: The Dictionary, Part 8: Chelicera – Close Order

I can only blame hockey (and now the World Cup) so much for my lack of progress since last post. This has to be the slowest stretch yet. I am disappointed but I soldier on when I find the time and will. At this point, I need to be firm with myself set some firm goals or the first book on my quest may drag out said quest forever. It’s already been half a year and I am far behind where I thought I could be.

The letter B was great. There were a plethora of interesting words and I felt like I was getting somewhere. The letter C is similar to the letter A. Not as many interesting words and it is a very long section, so I’ve grown tired of seeing C-words. I should have some time for large blocks of uninterrupted reading soon, so we’ll see where that takes me.

Interesting words worth noting:

CHESTNUT- The definition refers to a blight that eliminated most of a certain species of chestnut trees in America. Considering I grew up down the road from a large chestnut tree, I had no idea that the native American species was so rare. Maybe all the chestnut trees I see are descendants of foreign seeds.

CHILL OUT- My dictionary dates this phrase to 1983. MW online now dates it to 1980, but I had no idea this common phrase was so young!

CHRISTMAS CARD- Now for the opposite of the last word- MW dates this term to 1883! Hard to believe people have been sending each other pretty pieces of soon-to-be trash since Rutherford B. Hayes was president! Yowzer.

CHRONOLOGICAL- Happy quadricentennial chronological! This word goes back almost to when Columbus ‘discovered’ the New World. Maybe they just never bothered to arrange things by date before then?

CIAO- I laughed good and hard at this one. Before hipsters were called hipsters there were wannabe hip types who would use this term (knew a few peers and professors in college who used it). Bet they don’t know that it originates as a way of declaring that you are someone’s slave. And it only dates back to 1929. Hmm, what were those Italians up to?

CINEMA- Its original definition as a motion picture goes back 105 years. It makes sense if you figure that motion pictures are a 20th Century product. Still, it feels both old and not old enough for some reason.

CIRCUMLOCUTION- It’s a big word that means you use too many words when describing or explaining something. So, you can use it to show off, as long as you don’t become a victim off. Oh how ironic that would be. If Congress tried to pass a bill banning this wordiness, would they be able to keep the bill brief? I doubt it.

CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE- Here is another surprisingly old word. MW dates it back to 1866. Considering Gandhi and MLK are most famous for practicing it, I wouldn’t have pegged it for being so old.

CLAY PIGEON- I grew up shooting them and setting traps that throw them for people to shoot at. Very surprised to see how old it is. I wonder how their construction and formation has changed over the years.

CLINK- This slang term for jail is actually named after a real jail! Anglophiles may scoff at the majority of the world who never knew this before but fortunately Anglophiles don’t really count for much because of their anglophilia. It was a real jail for centuries in London.

Page Count: 254/1600 (15.88%)
Countdown to the Letter D: 74 pages

No comments: