Sunday, February 11, 2018

READING UPDATE: The Dictionary- Part 29- Tiercel – Unbending


The fourth quarter of 2017 was a bust.  I am almost positive that I only read two pages during those three months.  Other pursuits took my focus away in October and November and December reading time was lost to extra hours at work and the Christmas season.

January, however, was a very productive month.  I determined that reading two pages a day would see me finish the letter Z by my birthday.  I have fallen just behind of that target pace but just knowing that I have fewer than 100 pages separating me from the easier supplemental material is a huge mental boost.

Perhaps my renewed vigor for finishing the dictionary causes me to read faster and not slow down for quirky words or unique etymology, but I’ve seen fewer words worth noting.  The letter U has been void of notable words thus far.  Perhaps my February post will include a few.  We’ll see.

TIMES SIGN- The fact that this term dates only to 1948 had me wondering what they called it for centuries before then.  My search for this information was a quick one.  Common sense should have told me right away that it was just called a multiplication sign.  ‘Times’ is a shorthand word for ‘multiplication,’ so this term was merely a shortening of ‘multiplication sign.’

TODAY- As often as I hear people pronounce this word ‘too-day,’ I was surprised to find that my dictionary only offers ‘tuh-day’ as a correct pronunciation.  I checked MW online and they’re still only offering one pronunciation.

TOSS- Even into my fifth year reading the dictionary, I still enjoy seeing common words come from Scandinavia.  I must be biased.

TRAGUS- It’s the mass of skin and cartilage that juts out in front of the opening of the ear canal.  It’s not just for decoration though.  It’s actually important to helping you hear what’s behind you.

TRUMP- One of the definitions for this word amused me greatly.  Trump can mean “a dependable and exemplary person.”  A certain world leader certainly isn’t living up to that meaning of his surname, now is he?

TURNSPIT- I laughed out loud when I read the definitions for this word.  A turnspit used to be the term for a small dog placed on a treadmill that was rigged up to turn a roasting spit.

TURTLE / TURTLEDOVE- I often wondered how the turtledove got its name, considering it looks nothing like a turtle.  As it turns out, the turtledove was named first, by over 300 years.  It seems they came from separate but similar-sounding origins.  Fascinating stuff.


Page Count: 1322/1600 (82.63%)                                      
Countdown to the Letter V: 19 pages
Countdown to the Supplementary Material: 94 pages

No comments: