Tuesday, July 9, 2019

NOW READING: The Idea of the Holy (1958)

I’m choosing not to jump right into fiction for my first non-reference book. Believe it or not, reading any fiction will be prefaced by two books about writing fiction. I’ve had enough instructional material for now, so this is actually an exciting turn for me. If you’ve heard of this book, then my nerdiness is only being reinforced for you right now.

The Idea of the Holy was first published in 1917 in the author’s native German. A few years later an English translation came out. My copy is a revised English translation from 1958. It was required reading for an Introduction to Religion course that I took my sophomore year of college, and it was my first taste of serious theological study.

I remember being overwhelmed at times by this book and others from the same course. There I was, a know-it-all 19-year-old kid getting smacked in the face with a heaping dose of academic might that cut me down to size. And yet, I was fascinated by it. Much like the numinous that Otto writes of in this book, religion possesses a unique draw and power that can only be understood when you feel it for yourself.

My personal reason for reading this book now is to help put me in the right frame of mind to encounter that which is holy when I tackle my next book- the Bible. The author writes from a Christian perspective, but the subject matter is more theology than doctrine. Rather than tell me the right way to believe in God, I want to use this book to prepare me to think about God in a clearer way. I’ll let the Spirit move me as it will when reading the scripture.

If this book proves to be a dense, slow read, I may post a reading update partway through. If not, I will just post a review like my last book. Something tells me that this one will be a slower, more deliberate read though, and I welcome that.

No comments: