Saturday, June 15, 2019

READING UPDATE: The Bedford Handbook- Part XI – Index

Excited as I was to move past the MLA, APA, and Chicago drudgery, I made a point to slow down while reading the four grammar chapters. The Bedford Handbook loses points for relegating these chapters to the tail end of the book. Some of the terminology presented in these chapters is necessary to understand the guidance offered in earlier chapters. These four chapters aren’t even that dense, so I think it is more logical to put the grammar refresher chapters right before the chapters advising how to punctuate clauses and sentences described in the grammar refresher. Doing so would have spared me a lot of awkward back-and-forth page flipping.

Because I just can’t get away from dictionary-esque things it seems, this book also contains a glossary of usage. It was a nice way to wrap up the useful content of the book. After that was the answers section for all the mid- and end-chapter exercises that readers can partake in. Since I used the exercises to test myself while reading, I had already read over the answers section once, allowing me to skip it.

I admit that I skimmed over the index rather than read it in earnest. I kept an eye out for any terms or topics that I either didn’t remember or wanted to take a second peak at. They were few and far between.

It is a relief to be done with another book. I finished this one in 100 days. Blasting out a reference book in that short a span of time feels good but my page-per-day count is still on the low end. Perhaps my next book or two will lift that up some more. I’ll post a review in a few days.


Page Count: 928/928 (100.00%)
Countdown to my next update: 0 pages

No comments: